Film As Art

by dallas. A blog for my two favorite subjects: film and history.

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Copyright and Security: A Reflection

I found our discussion of ethics last week to be the most rewarding time we have spent in class. That is not to say that learning the innerworkings of an aggregator was not refreshingly tittilating, but last Thursday my horizons were broadened and I was challenged, especially by the intricacies of copyright law.

I had no idea copyright law was such a behemoth of diversity. I find myself continually violating copyright when I find various pictures here and there to use for my ever increasing needs. I also find myself pondering the ethical use of music in the film I made for the lesson plan example assignment. I'm quite sure all of the music I used was protected by copyright, and by using it did I violate copyright law? Under the flexible copyright laws, I should be okay, since I used my film in an academic setting and I didn't use any of the music in its entirety. But, I did not research which pieces of music are under rigid copyright or flexible copyright. As a teacher, this is one of the most important aspects of copyright law that I can impart to my students. It is crucial that the student researches any artistic material they will use for its affixed copyright. When I have my students make films I will make sure they only use music that is protected under flexible copyright.

I find that when students, like myself, violate copyright laws it is largely due to ignorance. In this world of "easy access" due to the internet, it is essential that students are educated on all of the copyright laws to save them from ignorance. Also in this world of "easy access" comes the growing ease of the pernicious practice of cheating, which does not stem from ignorance. It is important for teachers to be aware of their students doings and capabilities. Keeping track of a student's written ability will help to quell forgery early before it becomes a serious problem. Teachers also must be aware of what their students are doing during tests. There is a veritable cornucopia of tools available to students who are looking for a little "helping hand" during a test. Teachers who make it a point not to hide behind a book during tests will help their students make the decision not to cheat.

A discussion of ethics is always valid no matter what the civilization or century. Even the more considering ethical values change with the time. As a teacher it is important to stay current with the fludity of ethics in public law, if personal ethics aren't so fluid. Teaching ethics in a classroom is just as important as teaching algebra, Alexander the Great, or the use of onomatopoeia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home